We have gathered the most common questions about URKUND. Follow the url below to access the questions and their answers. If you do not find an answer to your question, please contact the URKUND Support and we will help you.
I have submitted my work to my teacher but I have not yet received a confirmation.
The normal delivery time for confirmation e-mails is approximately 15-20 minutes as the e-mail message and the document will undergo a series of checks before it is approved. In certain circumstances this might take longer; the letter might not reach the sender or not be sent at all. If you have not received a confirmation letter within 20 minutes do the following:
- First, check that the e-mail was sent to the correct analysis address and that it had an attachment
- Check URKUND operation information
- Contact URKUND helpdesk
Note that if you use Microsoft Hotmail or Google Gmail, these clients may turn attached documents into download link instead and thus no actual file is sent to us. Both of these clients are still able to send files as usual, but you may want to check that they do not have automatic settings for this.
Why does URKUND say that my paper/essay is plagiarized?
In the different URKUND interfaces, percentages and colours are displayed to the reviewer, but none of these mean, under any circumstances, that we say that a document contains plagiarised text. What URKUND does is to show similarities between the submitted text and the sources that we index and these similarities, that may have come from quotations used perfectly correctly, are to be judged by the reviewing teacher or examiner - who then proceeds according to the rules and regulations that apply to your own organisation.
What file formats are supported by URKUND?
URKUND supports the following file formats .doc, .docx, .xls, .xlsx, .sxw, .ppt, .pptx, .pdf, .txt, .rtf, .html, .htm, .wps, .odt
Why isn't the iWork format .pages in the list of approved file formats?
Unfortunately there is not yet any method of converting the Apple .pages format available but as soon as it is technically possible, we will introduce it.
Can I use a text I've written before, for example if I change my school or when I write another essay later?
All sources in a text, whether you are the author or not, should be listed as sources in your paper. Contact your teacher or tutor for information about how this works.
Do I have to install anything on my computer to use URKUND?
You have to be able to send e-mail.
I got an e-mail stating that my document has been "excluded as a future source". What is that?
When you submit a document to an URKUND address, you automatically receive a confirmation e-mail in return. This e-mail contains a link that you may click to exclude your document from being a future source in URKUND for educational organisations other than your own. If you click this link you get another letter confirming your choice.
If I clicked the link in the confirmation letter and excluded my document by mistake, is there any way to rectify this?
Yes, click the link in the confirmation e-mail again. This will restore the previous status of your document.
My teacher/Professor has informed me that he/she hasn't received any document from me even though I have received a confirmation e-mail from URKUND.
1. You might have sent your document to a different teacher/Professor's analysis address. Check the address you entered in your e-mail.
2. Your teacher might have lost your document. Your teacher will however always be able to access your document through his/her personal web based inbox for URKUND mail available at www.urkund.com
3. An error might have occurred on the way between URKUND and your teacher/Professor. Show your confirmation e-mail to him/her and ask them to contact URKUND support and we will assist further.
Is it possible to use several different e-mail addresses when submitting new updated versions of a document?
Yes, but the Analysis will indicate hits in your previous versions. Avoid this if possible.
I have sent the wrong version of my document to my teacher/Professor. Is there any way for URKUND of stopping it so I can submit the correct version?
Unfortunately no. URKUND is completely automated and a document that has entered the system can not be stopped before it has been delivered. We suggest you talk to your teacher/Professor and explained what has happened.
- Avoid submitting PDF-documents created with programs that do not fully adhere to the protocol set forth by Adobe Systems. Some programs do not create fault-free PDFs because of this. Also, PDFs that have any kind of document protection, such as prohibiting text extraction or encryption, will not be delivered to your teacher/Professor.
- You may submit several documents with one e-mail if you whish. If the documents are large it is perfectly alright to compress them using WinZip or BinHex. Each document will generate a separate confirmation letter.
- E-mail submitted to URKUND without an attached file will be rejected and you will not receive any error message.
- If an attached file is converted to a download link by your e-mail provider on its way to URKUND, the e-mail it will be lacking an attached file and will be rejected.
- Every document received by URKUND is stamped with date and time. This way your teacher/Professor can make sure that you met any existing deadline.
- If you submit a document with an erroneous file extension, such as "essay.%&@" or "paper.xxx", you will receive an error message and it will not be forwarded to your teacher. Please note that a MS Word 2008 file (.DOCX) will not be transformed into a MS Word 95/98/2003 file (.DOC) just by erasing the x at the end.
- URKUND will treat documents submitted by the same address in such a way that they are checked against all of URKUNDs sources but not previous documents from that address. The reason for this is to avoid unnecessary hits being made in previous versions of the same work. Avoid using multiple addresses when submitting your documents.
- Your document will be delivered to your teacher/Professor within 24h bar any technical disturbances. Normal delivery is in and around 3 hours.
- Users of LaTeX should be aware that the ligatures that are created by this software in the pdf output are incompatible with URKUND. LaTeX can be set to disable ligatures by adding the following lines